Background

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Being a girl.

I Still Sleep Alone
-Matthew McGinn

I was having a conversation the other day with one of my really good guy friends. The subject of being a girl came up. He said, "I am so thankful I am not a girl." I commented back saying something about how it has its perks, but also its great downside. Today I started thinking of a quote from Matthew Henry. "The woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of this head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal  with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved." This made me think that the role of women has been totally distorted. On one side of the spectrum we have women that are totally stomped on by men, and on the other we have those independent feminist that do not rely one bit on men. Personally, I think neither is completely right. There needs to be a balance. As for the extreme feminist view, God made us to live, work, and love together. It says in Matthew 19, "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no man separate." On the other hand, God did not make us to be inferior to men. He did, though, create a role for us that is subordinate to our husbands leadership. [MacArthur] Even though our role is subordinate to men, in 1 Corinthians 11:7 it talks about how we are still supposed to be exalted. God created us for s specific purpose. Thinking about that makes me question comments I make about what God has made me. god has a purpose and plan for my life and it is his will that lays ahead of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment