Background

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

One For One


So, I am kinda ecstatic. Next Tuesday is a day without shoes. It is April 5th. This day is encouraged by Toms Shoes. They are a one for one company. For every pair of shoes that is purchased from them, they will give a pair to a child in need somewhere else in the world. This company is a great company. They are working to be as green as possible, and they have a heart for helping people in serious need. On April 5th, you are supposed to not where shoes so you can bring awareness to the many children who have no choice, but to not where shoes. I seriously want to do more. Companies like this and Charity: Water and even To Write Love On Her Arms are all seeking opportunities to help people. With Toms it is giving shoes. With Charity: Water, it is building wells in Ethiopia, and TWLOHA is to help depressed people realize they have something to live for, and to help them get the help they need. The world is so big, and there are so many people who have needs. I want to help. Think about it. I am given money for things I don't need all the time. Giving $40 to help provide a sustainable water source for people in Ethiopia is a much better use of my money than going to the movies a couple of times, or buying clothes I don't need. Buying a pair of shoes from Toms, or a shirt from TWLOHA   would be better than buying some heels from forever 21. These companies are helping people. I want to be a part of that. I am going to start by joining thousands of people not wearing shoes on April 5th. After that, who knows? I have a few ideas in my head... I am thinking about making my budget include a special percentage of my paychecks to go to companies like Toms, Charity: Water, and To Write Love On Her Arms. After that, I'm even thinking about my next birthday. Birthday you ask? Isn't that a bit selfish? But what I am thinking is I will ask everybody who is planning on giving me a gift to give me money instead. That way I can put it towards helping people in need. Like I said before, I want to be part of the change in the world. And, I want to start now.

No comments:

Post a Comment